This coming Tuesday will see people across the country digging out their frying pans, beating together flour, eggs and milk, squeezing lemons and liberally sprinkling sugar in celebration of Pancake Day.
Whether you see Shrove Tuesday traditionally - as your last opportunity to indulge before the ritual Lenten fast - or simply as an excuse to eat pancakes for breakfast, lunch and dinner - follow our favourite recipe for perfectly thin and crispy crepes. We've also thought up some filling ideas for you – from decadent chocolate to bubbling cheese – so whatever you fancy, you won’t be stuck for ideas.
Makes 8 pancakes
100g plain flour
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp melted butter, plus extra for frying
- Sieve flour and salt together into a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Crack eggs into the well, along with the melted butter and about a quarter of the milk.
- Whisk everything together until all of the dry ingredients are incorporated. Beat until the batter is thick and smooth.
- Add the milk bit by bit until fully incorporated.
- Heat a frying pan on a medium heat and melt remaining butter until frothing.
- Ladle some batter onto your pan, tilting it to make a thin, even layer.
- Leave to cook for about 30 seconds before flipping - either with a fish slice or, if you’re feeling confident, tossing the pan. Cook for another 30 seconds or so on the other side.
- If you are adding a filling that needs melting, sprinkle it on top of the pancake now before folding it in on itself and transferring it to a plate.
- Add the rest of your fillings and enjoy!
Can't decide which filling to have? Take inspiration from our list of delicious sweet and savoury pancakes to try.
|Lemon and sugar
||Cheese and ham
|Bananas fried in rum and brown sugar
||Bacon and eggs
|White chocolate and strawberry
||Cheese and tomato
|Golden syrup and vanilla ice cream
||Spinach and feta
|Grand Marnier and ice cream
|Berries and whipped cream
||Brocolli and stilton
|Bacon and maple syrup
||Butternut squash and sage
|Irish cream and chocolate
||Flakey smoked haddock and onion
|Apple and cinnamon
||Bacon, brie and cranberry